First impression of Google+ for writers.

I love it.

Google+ is Google’s social networking attempt. I have been on for less than a week, and I love it. Here is my profile! http://gplus.to/MariMiniatt

Just from a writers standpoint. It has a lot more functionality, than Facebook. There is no character limit to what you post, so you could post snippets of a work in progress. And who you share it with, is a plus too.

G+ uses circles. You set up a circle for a certain group of people. Such as family, friends, writers, beta readers, etc. You can choose who sees what post. There is a public choice as well. That one allows your posting to be seen by everyone and searchable.

I said beta readers. That is one of the first things I used it for. I have a group of ten people that are beta reading Minstrels for me. I added all of them to one circle. Not all of them are on G+, but when I send a post out. They get an email. The ones that are on G+ can respond below the post. The ones that are not can send me an email. A nice combination of forum and email communication.

What about selling? Haven’t tried yet. But your profile would be best for that. Links to your blog, links to your books. You could set up a circle of people that want to hear about any deals you have, and when you do, send out a post that goes public and to them as well.

I am still messing with it. I asked a question this morning and got wonderful, educational answers.  There  is talk that blogger will be phased into G+ as well. That should make blog posting easier for us that use blogger.

It will be going public at the end of this month. Right now, beta invite only. I have invites. If you are following me on twitter @mariminiatt DM me your email, and I will send you one.

1. Lovelyn says:

I haven’t even started looking into this Google +1 thing yet, but from what you say it sound like it’s worth checking out. Thanks for the post. I’m usually quite slow with social media, but I’m trying to get more on the ball.

2. Thanks for the post! I’ve been wondering how people were liking it.

3. Elisa Michelle says:

Sounds interesting, though I know a lot of people are grumbling because it’s another social media outlet to learn on top of a blog (usually either Blogger or WordPress), Facebook, Youtube, and Twitter (though most just use Facebook, blog, and Twitter). What do you think about that? Do you think this will eradicate the need for Facebook or a different social media site, or will it simply be another soldier in the social media military?

1. mariminiatt says:

Some people are leaving Facebook. But I will not fully. I have my author’s page and my character’s page there. So I can’t see leaving facebook. As for learning curve. Much simpler than Facebook.

I will be keeping all of them. Twitter for networking and chats. Facebook, blog, and G+. With each social network, you get a different audience with different views.

1. Elisa Michelle says:

Hmm, yeah, but doesn’t that take a lot of time to manage? I find my blog takes up more time than I thought it would, and I’m worried that social media might be taking up a lot of time I could have been writing, you know? But I see the benefits of Google +. I’m interested in checking into it once it comes out of beta.

1. mariminiatt says:

Right now google+ is taking up less time than the rest of them. That might change when it comes out of beta.

4. Catana says:

I signed on to be notified when I can join. I’m not on Facebook, but it sounds as if G+ might be useful for writers. At least it will be less cluttered for a while. And maybe Google will have a bit more respect for users’ privacy.

5. Barbara says:

Mariam, I did not even know that Google+ existed! It’s just like facebook. Unbelieveable! I would be happy to sign up. I already have a google account. Posting on my regular google account is always been so complex to me. Lots of stuff i cannot do and don’t quite understand. Same with Google Adsense. I want to use it but seems so complicated. I consider myself computer savvy. Im on about 8 social media networks. I maintain them all. But now that I know about google+, I will definitely join. Thanks a lot. By the way, your page look great! I love scarey movies too.

6. I haven;t tried it yet, but it sounds better than facebook, anyway. I haven;t been that happy with Facebook since I joined, and have only moved towards it because MySpace died the death of the upgrades. So, I’m hoping for something better to come along that we can embrace and slough Facebook off, lol!

Mu only trouble with google applications is that they’ve bought up so many things that I ave a pile of google accounts; one for youtube, one for my app mail, one for my old g-mail, one for blogger… you get the idea. It’s just a confused disaster. They need a “consolidate” option.

1. mariminiatt says:

I have 3! one is my official writer one. One is the email I have had for ages. And one is for a pen name. Now Google has been trying to close down accounts with spammy sounding names. They will be opening business or alias options soon (rumor anyway). so far my 3 are still standing. Possibly because I filled out the profiles on them. You don’t have to, but they are looking at that for signs of possible spammers.
      But I have to say I have had one email sent to me (you can put the option to have people email you through your profile, they never see your real email) that was the “investment scam” so spammers are trying to figure out how to use it. They have not succeeded, so far.
      Well this reply went off the rails fast.

7. julihoffman says:

I was invited to join google+ this week. First impressions? I think it’s facebook’s clone. The one thing I do like is the idea of making posts to specific “circles”. You can do that on facebook too, but I’m lazy and don’t ever bother. So far, I’ve invited my friends to join me, but the response has been limited. We’ll see what happens.

8. James Gill says:

I like your take on it, and the creative idea of using it for a reading group. I took a first look at Google+ at my own blog, and afterward I wasn’t clear that it’s ready for authors yet–no author branding-type setup available, though Google’s promised it. I wrote that Facebook, like a half-dozen other former social networking sites, isn’t forever–so writers should keep an eye out for any tool that seems useful.

1. mariminiatt says:

Over this weekend writers took over. A few intrepid ones started circles, they publicly list with all the writers they can find. My circle of writers grew from 10 to 85 in one day. I have seen a few attempts at selling on there. The nice thing is, from both the promoter and potential promotee. 1 post is all you need. You don’t have to keep filling the stream during the day, hoping to catch someone. 1 post a day seems okay. As long as you are being social and talking to people. The backlash against spammers has been harsher here. Including public posts about who is one.

1. James Gill says:

Good to hear.

“As long as you are being social and talking to people. The backlash against spammers has been harsher here. Including public posts about who is one.”

That is *definitely* good to hear. It may change how writers promote themselves with this kind of tool.